Predicting Risk of Infection in Infants with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.
OBJECTIVE: To predict incident bloodstream infection and urinary tract infection (UTI) in infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH).
STUDY DESIGN: We conducted a retrospective analysis using the Children's Hospital Neonatal Database during 2010-2016. Infants with CDH admitted at 22 participating regional neonatal intensive care units were included; patients repaired or discharged to home prior to admission/referral were excluded. The primary outcome was death or the occurrence of bloodstream infection or UTI prior to discharge. Factors associated with this outcome were used to develop a multivariable equation using 80% of the cohort. Validation was performed in the remaining 20% of infants.
RESULTS: Median gestation and postnatal age at referral in this cohort (n = 1085) were 38 weeks and 3.1 hours, respectively. The primary outcome occurred in 395 patients (36%); and was associated with low birth weight, low Apgar, low admission pH, renal and associated anomalies, patch repair, and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (P < .001 for all; area under receiver operating curve = 0.824; goodness of fit χ2 = 0.52). After omitting death from the outcome measure, admission pH, patch repair of CDH, and duration of central line placement were significantly associated with incident bloodstream infection or UTI.
CONCLUSIONS: Infants with CDH are at high risk of infection which was predicted by clinical factors. Early identification and low threshold for sepsis evaluations in high-risk infants may attenuate acquisition and the consequences of these infections.
The Journal of pediatrics
Anti-Bacterial Agents; Apgar Score; Bacteremia; Catheterization, Central Venous; Congenital Abnormalities; Databases, Factual; Drug Utilization; Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation; Hernias, Diaphragmatic, Congenital; Humans; Hydrogen-Ion Concentration; Infant, Low Birth Weight; Infant, Newborn; Intensive Care Units, Neonatal; Kidney; Retrospective Studies; Risk Assessment; Surgical Mesh; United States; Urinary Tract Infections
Children's Hospitals Neonatal Consortium (CHNC); Children's Hospitals Neonatal Database (CHND); congenital diaphragmatic hernia; neonatal intensive care; pulmonary hypertension
Murthy, Karna; Porta, Nicolas F M; Pallotto, Eugenia K.; Rintoul, Natalie; Keene, Sarah; Chicoine, Louis; Gien, Jason; Brozanski, Beverly S.; Johnson, Yvette R.; Haberman, Beth; DiGeronimo, Robert; Zaniletti, Isabella; Grover, Theresa R; and Children's Hospitals Neonatal Consortium (CHNC) Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Focus Group, "Predicting Risk of Infection in Infants with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia." (2018). Manuscripts, Articles, Book Chapters and Other Papers. 1344.