Experience with use of multiplane transesophageal echocardiography to guide closure of atrial septal defects using the amplatzer device.
By providing unlimited imaging planes, multiplane transesophageal echocardiography (MTEE) should improve real-time guidance of interventional procedures. The potential advantages of MTEE in this scenario have not been systematically evaluated. We retrospectively reviewed our experience with MTEE-guided Amplatzer device closure of atrial septal defects (ASDs) MTEE angles used to obtain images for guiding all measurements and maneuvers were recorded. These angles were compared to the range of MTEE angles that are postulated to be available from biplane TEE. Images obtained using MTEE angles from 21 degrees to 70 degrees and from 111 degrees to l59 degrees were defined as only obtainable by MTEE. The MTEE probe was successfully introduced in all (89) patients. Thirteen patients (15%) had multiple defects. Ninety-five devices (5-32 mm in diameter) were deployed. In 66% of patients, balloon sizing and device deployment necessitated imaging planes that are only obtainable by MTEE. All devices were well positioned, with no impingement on inflows or outflows. At follow-up, 79 of 89 (88.7%) patients had no residual ASDs. Each of the remaining 10 patients (11.3%) had a small (mm) residual defect. MTEE played an important role in guiding device closure of ASD, particularly during the phases of balloon sizing and device deployment.
Adolescent; Adult; Aged; Aged, 80 and over; Cardiac Surgical Procedures; Child; Child, Preschool; Device Removal; Echocardiography, Transesophageal; Embolization, Therapeutic; Equipment Design; Equipment Safety; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Heart Septal Defects, Atrial; Humans; Infant; Male; Middle Aged; Patient Selection; South Carolina; Treatment Outcome
Figueroa, M I.; Balaguru, D; McClure, C; Kline, C H.; Radtke, W A K; and Shirali, Girish S., "Experience with use of multiplane transesophageal echocardiography to guide closure of atrial septal defects using the amplatzer device." (2002). Manuscripts, Articles, Book Chapters and Other Papers. 970.