Download Full Text (607 KB)
Download Concussion Algorithm (33 KB)
Download History & Physical Exam (117 KB)
Download Kuppermann 2009 Clinical Decision Rule children >/= 2 years of age (207 KB)
Download Kuppermann 2009 Algorithm (69 KB)
Download Clinical Factors (191 KB)
Download Severe Mechanism of Injury (194 KB)
Download Altered Mental Status (191 KB)
Download Are Symptoms Present? (196 KB)
Download Discharge Education & Follow-up Plan (120 KB)
These guidelines do not establish a standard of care to be followed in every case. It is recognized that each case is different and those individuals involved in providing health care are expected to use their judgment in determining what is in the best interests of the patient based on the circumstances existing at the time. It is impossible to anticipate all possible situations that may exist and to prepare guidelines for each. Accordingly, these guidelines should guide care with the understanding that departures from them may be required at times.
Objective of the Care Process Model
The objective of the CPM is to create a structure for the management of mild sports related concussion at Children’s Mercy.
Physicians, Advance Practice Nurses, Nurses in Emergency Departments, Urgent Care Centers, and Outpatient Clinics
Clinical Questions Care Process Model
1. Should neurocognitive assessment tools (SCAT3, ImPACT, or HEADMinder) vs. no neurocognitive assessment tools be used for children with sports related concussion?
2. Should diagnostic radiology tools (computed tomography or MRI) vs. no diagnostic radiology tools be used for children with sports related concussion?
3. Should medications vs. no medications be used for children presenting with sports related concussion?
- Should narcotics vs. no narcotics be used for children with headache associate with sports related concussion?
- Should anti-nausea medications vs. no anti-nausea medication be used for children with sports related concussion?
4. Should liberalized return to learn/play vs. conservative return to learn/play be used for children with sports related concussion?
Children's Mercy Kansas City, "Concussion" (2016). Care Process Models. 24.