Pediatric coin ingestion: an unusual presentation.
A 35-month-old child presented to the Emergency Department with a suspected coin ingestion. A physical examination and radiographic examination revealed no evidence of the coin, and the child was prepared for discharge. When the child continued to refuse to drink, digital examination of the hard palate revealed the coin lodged behind the upper incisors. It was only possible to visualize when the patient's neck was fully extended. This case represents an unusual presentation of coin ingestion. It points out the importance of a meticulous physical examination and the need for reevaluation when findings are contradictory.
International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology
Child, Preschool; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Foreign Bodies; Humans; Numismatics; Palate
Swallowed Coins; Swallowed Objects; Children
Brayer, A F.; Sciera, M; and Conners, Gregory P., "Pediatric coin ingestion: an unusual presentation." (2000). Manuscripts, Articles, Book Chapters and Other Papers. 116.